“Fix up confusion” in your own reading. Try one of these tips each time you read…
- Make a prediction: anticipate what’s coming next. Expect certain new events to occur. When an event doesn’t match your prediction, reevaluate and get back on track.
- Stop and think about what you have already read: just stop and connect newly acquired knowledge with info already have…give yourself time to synthesize.
- Ask a question: makes you curious and you seek answer. Not all answers in the text: can use background info to answer questions like “What’s the main idea?”
- Write about it
- Visualize it: use what you know.
- Retell what you’ve read. Helps you reflect. Activates background knowledge and provides check on understanding. For me, this activity helps me find gaps in understanding.
- Notice patterns